Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jai Guru Deva Om.... Meditate on That!

Okay, so this is still old news, but after this I'm all caught up.

According to this CNN article, Paul and Ringo are going to team up with other music superstars including Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Moby and Sheryl Crow for a mega fund-raising concert supporting David Lynch Foundation's program, which has already taught over 50,000 kids around the world how to meditate. The Beatles learned to meditate on their famed trip to India in 1968 to learn transcendental meditation from Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

I really don't have anything funny to say about this, because I think it's a good idea. The Lynch Foundation program "is to teach the meditation technique to a million at-risk children so they have life-long tools to overcome stress and violence and promote peace and success in their lives."

But, let's all hopefully push for less cryptic mantra selections.

I used to think "Jai Guru Deva Om" was actually saying "Jack will rule the day...om"

In fact, I still sing that in stead of the mantra. I especially liked my translation because it just had an ommmmmmmmmmmmmm tacked on the end for no reason.

But it's better then what some joker on the internet thought it was saying: "My guru's name is Love"

That's so dumb. Mine is way better.

Of course, the song of the day is "Across the Universe!"



2 comments:

  1. Raising money to help kids meditate? At least they aren't wasting money on things that may actually help people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to meditate through boring classes in college all the time!

    ReplyDelete